How to stay SAFE this Holiday Season
If your home, like millions of other households in the United States, includes a Christmas tree and festive holiday decorations, you should be aware that the breathtaking beauty of the decorations also comes with a fire risk. That is why we are offering helpful tips to people as we come closer to one of the biggest holidays of the year!
The following are a few tips for individuals to consider when putting up and maintaining their holiday decorations this December:
• Do not overload power outlets with holiday lights. Pay close attention to the
manufacturer's instructions on the number of lights you can string together.
• Consider using battery-operated flameless candles.
• Be careful not to splatter wax when extinguishing a candle.
• Use flashlights instead of candles for emergency lighting.
• Do not purchase a Christmas tree that is dry or dropping needles excessively.
Be sure to water your Christmas tree regularly.
• Do not use strings of lights that are worn, frayed, manually spliced, or broken.
• If you purchase an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled fire-retardant.
• Do not link more than three light strands unless the directions indicate it is safe.
Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Be sure to periodically check the wires; they should not be warm to the touch.
If a fire disaster does strike your home, SERVPRO of Bowling Green/W. Lucas County offers services to help people quickly recover and restore any damaged property. We are here to help @ 419-867-8678!